Saturday 8 June 2024

Day 22: Mea Culpa. I found the comments. In Sedona, Arizona.

 OK, true confessions here. I said to Nan, "I'm surprised nobody is commenting on the blog." Well, I found them. I was not receiving notifications of comments and I don't actually read the blog from the published page so I didn't see the comments.  I have the settings such that comments must be moderated so as to avoid spammers trying to flood the blog with offers to enhance your physique. I have fixed the setting so that I will receive a notice when you comment, even if you are telling me off. You should be able to see your comments now.

And, would you like to get the most out of the See where we are riding in real time link? Open the link and look at the top of the map for a little symbol that looks like a half moon. Click that icon and you will get a drop down menu with the first choice being "Density/Fill percentages. This setting allows you to see much closer intervals of the tracking pings for as little as five minutes when you click "all". Then the next setting is for how much history you want. The default settings upload minimal data and you can only see so much. Fine tuning will allow you to zoom in and envision yourself riding around those curves with us on the handlebars of the motorcycle. 

My apologies that I didn't deal with this sooner but I only JUST realized what a dolt I am. 

Just made worse by the fact that I fell asleep (June 9) while doing today's entry and deleted everything I had written.

Sedona, Arizona

Distance for the day: 91.1 km

Cumulative distance: 4,674.9 km

Top speed: 95 kph

Moving average: 46 kph

Temperature: 26.0 -33.0















Chapel of the Holy Cross, completed in 1956 at a cost of $300,000.




This house overlooks the Red Rock State Park, The building
materials were brought to the location via helicopter.

This is the entry to the house, far below. The sculpter
is part of a sculpture up at the house.





The desert flowers are in bloom

This cactus doesn't normally produce red blossoms. But because they have had a wet spring this year, it is believed that the excess water helped produce different coloured flowers.

This close up of the red rock shows its sedimentary nature.

Petroglyphs in Red Rock State Park. Dated to aroun 1100 - 1200 CE.


This waking bridge over Oak Creek in the park is the high water mark in flood season, which happens every year.

This house was built in the 40s by Jack and Helen Frye. He was the founder of TWA. They divorced and the house eventually ended up in the hands of a religious cult before being part of a land swap to acquire land for the park.

This is Scott, the volunteer guide touring me around Red Rock State Park. This lady was passing by and said "I could sure use a proper walking stick like that. So after some discussion, Scott gave her his walking stick.


This range is called The Seven Warriors, named for the last Apache natives fighting a battle with US Cavalry fighting to take over the land.


When your city is home to the type of breathtaking natural beauty you find in Sedona, you take preserving that beauty seriously. When McDonald’s representatives approached the city of Sedona about opening a location in the shopping center, they engaged in discussions with Sedona’s city council and Planning & Zoning commission. Unlike the typical McDonald’s design with its trademark large arches and red and yellow palette, the West Sedona plans were designed to ensure consistency with the Pueblo-revival style of the shopping center without taking away from the surrounding area’s natural beauty.

Whether they knew it or not, their collaboration would lead to building one more attraction for visitors to Sedona, Arizona. Today, tourists from all over the world stop at roadside restaurant not only to grab a bite to eat but to snap a picture with the only turquoise arches in the world.




4 comments:

  1. I've been through Jerome and then down the hill to Sedona. What a beautiful drive, even in a car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's even fun on a motorcycle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still say you should take Nan to the Luxury resort for a Spa day... Sedona is beautiful and even nicer in an air conditioned car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Daryl, thanks buddy! Can you please call them and make the reservation for us? That would be way easier than me trying to give them your credit card number!

      Delete

All comments are moderated without prejudice. Please note that the Blogger platform prevents me from responding directly to your comment and that unless you are posting from a Gmail account, your name will appear as anonymous and I will not be able to identify you, so please include in your comment some way I can identify you!

Day 42: Home Sweet Home

West Kelowna, BC Distance for the day: 282.7.5 km Cumulative distance: 9,665.7 km Top speed: 119 kph Moving average: 75 kph Temperature:  21...